With the surfacing of a UN report that projected India’s population to reach 1.5 billion by 2030, the threat of land crunch in our already space-scarce country is more pertinent than ever before. In the face of the crisis, it is important that we zero in on precision agriculture to secure the food basket, that is, augmenting the crop yield of our country. Digital technologies are now being introduced in agriculture to add value to the farmlands thereby helping the framers achieve maximum returns on their crop yields. This brings us to Artificial Intelligence (AI), which, of late, has been redefining the domain of practical agricultural management. Let us now find out what kinds of benefits await the farmers if they incorporate this technology in their farming practices.
1. Automated work process- With the adoption of artificial intelligence, the scope of manual input shall decrease substantially in agriculture. For example, AI backed satellites can simplify the entire process of identification of the crop water requirement and various diseases in farm plants. The IOT app, a new sensation in the agricultural landscape is able to show the collected data from the satellites to the farmers on their phones. Added on to that, the smart irrigation feature has curtailed the need of farmers to be present on the field. This automated work processes will empower them to make informed decisions in a much lesser time. With the aid of this technology, the agriculturalists can take more preventive steps to improve the crop production cycle.
2. Effective soil data collection- To collect precise data and samples on soil, human efforts may not be enough. More importantly, manual inputs are prone to human error. This where Artificial Intelligence comes into the picture. It has been successful to a significant extent to overcome the shortcomings of human errors. Agri-business enterprises are using AI-based soil sensors, valves and flow meters to collect static and dynamic data on the soil. The complex algorithms further analyze the collected data to regulate the flow of water to the crops on the farmlands. The entire functioning is facilitated efficiently by this agriculture technology.
3. Monitoring crop growth- AI remains relevant throughout the agricultural process. There is no doubt that it plays a crucial role in the process of crop growth as well. From selecting the best seeds to predicting the appropriate time for planting and harvesting, AI helps farmers determine a maximum return on crops. While AI sensors monitor crops and soils, its complex algorithms analyze the crop water need. This means AI stands important for effective water management as well. On another important to note, it is also worthy to mention that the IOT app has brought smart agricultural practices in the palm of farmers thereby leading them to higher revenue generation.
4. Accurate weather prediction leading to better crop management- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning are effective in weather forecasting and climatic disaster prediction. Therefore, the introduction of these technologies in precision farming can help farmers analyze the steps to take to save their crops from any future damage. Furthermore, taking a cue from these forecasts, they can decide on which kind of crop should be planted and in which season. Needless to say, this accurate forecasting leads to better crop management.
5. Increased ROI- The application of AI in agriculture is divided into two major categories of predictive analysis and crop and soil monitoring. Farmers are now better acquainted with pest and disease predictions, various parameters of soil management, weather forecasts, and scientific water management. On top of that, IOT backed agricultural practices through mobile app has added convenience to the works of farmers. These combined factors have not only resulted in better crop production cycle, but they have also ushered in maximum Return On Investment on crop yields for the farmers.
Conclusion- The growing introduction of complex algorithms, robotics, sensors, and satellites shows that AI has made its mark in precision agriculture. Lucrative results in the form of improved crop yields are encouraging various enterprises to incorporate agriculture-friendly algorithms. It can be hoped that in the upcoming future, maximum number of farmers will come forward to accept and apply these technologies in their farmlands.
AI has an instrumental role to play in precision farming. Would like to know more about the application of this technology in agriculture? Then, click here https://www.cultyvate.com/.